Re: Audio advice? (Quality of X-Plod system?)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:36:36 EDT

AWyseGuy@aol.com wrote:
: In a message dated 9/5/2001 12:11:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
: jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

: << However, I don't have any other speaker locations. I don't really
: want to cut up my door panels to try to install some speakers in there. >>

: The dash in your Cuda isn't layed out with all 3 speaker openings in it??
: Most of my older Mopars were usually set up for either L & R in front.. or at
: the 1 in the Center.

  Nope. :-( Unless of course I am so out of it that I missed them; that's
a possibility. ;-) The dash doesn't have any cutouts or anything underneath
it that I can see which looks like it was designed to hold speakers. When
I was on Crutchfield's web site, they have a thing on there where you can
put your make and model in and they'll tell you if a particular component
will fit. It didn't list any front speakers at all for my '70 cuda, but
it did show the two rear 6x9s. Hey, speaking of which... When I put
my car specs in, it only showed me a single pair of two way Xplod 6x9s, when I
went to the 3 way Xplod 6x9s, it said they "would not fit my vehicle".
Isn't a 6x9 a 6x9??? Why would one 6x9 fit and another wouldn't? Is
the bolt pattern different? I'm not real worried about it, this car is
already cut up so if I have to modify something to get them to fit I'm
certainly not afraid to do so. (As far as non-cosmetic and non-structural
stuff goes, anyway...)

: If all else fails. find yourself an extra set of door panels or dash to
: mount speakers into; that way you can always switch it back later.

  That's a good idea, too bad I already gave Bob his Challenger door
panels! ;-) Even those could be difficult/expensive to find though.
Here's a stupid question... Can I mount a speaker behind the panel, or
would it just be so muffled that it wouldn't be worthwhile? One thing
that I am fairly certain I could do is to mount a couple of speakers
under the dash, pointing down into the footwells. Would this be better than
nothing?

 Thanks!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'