Re: radiator drain??

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 19:20:51 EDT

> Ok where is the little drain spiggot on the 2k dak v-8 radiator, i want to
> drain radiator, or do i have to pull the lwr hose?? I will also be using
the
> new 150,000 mile orange anti-freeze instead of the 2-3 yr green stuff,
This
> should be ok??

As long as you flush the entire system and make sure all the 'normal green'
antifreeze is completely gone. I *think* the orange anti-freeze is not
compatible with the normal green antifreeze. I have always used normal ole
Prestone antifreeze since day one.......and wont use anything other than it.
I drain the radiator once a year and flush the system every other year. Just
a few months ago the water pump finally started to leak from the weep hole,
at about 140,000 miles. I replaced it and flushing the cooling system(twice
this year now, so I wont flush it for a while, just drain the radiator in
the spring). I am currently using a Robert Shaw 195 tstat and o bottle of
DEI Radiator Relief. Redline's Water Wetter doesnt do a darn thing! I have
NEVER had a cooling issue with my truck, even when the stock water pump
went, it was still cooling! When it is 95 degrees out I can pull my dad's
3000 pound boat all day and that temp guage wont budge. The internals of the
stock water pump looked brand new also, no corrosion at all. I still have
the stock/factory radiator also now at 146,500 miles. Preventative
maintainance is the key, not just using 150,000 mile drain interval
antifreeze.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6