Re: NV3500 Problems!!!!!!! - 1st gear

From: Aajaynefour@cs.com
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 21:33:01 EDT

Chris,

I researched this issue before I changed my NV3500 oil. I ended up using a
mixture of Redline MTL and Mopar MTL. The exact mix was 25% Redline MTL, 25%
Redline MT-90, and 50% Mopar MTL. The mixture color looks very close in
color to 100% Mopar MTL especially after a few hundred miles. I was glad I
did this as the original gear oil was full of metal shavings and junk. I
highly recommend a service interval for the NV3500 and 10 - 12,000 seems to
be a good number of miles. The shifting did get smoother. A synthetic might
work well in a colder climate as it tends to have a greater ability to flow
at lower temps. Check out Redlines web site for more info.
<www.redlineoil.com>

In retrospect, I should have just put a 100% mixture of Redline MTL in the
transmission with the intention of changing back to Mopar MTL if I any
warranty issues came up. Changing the gear oil is actually pretty quick and
easy with a hand operated oil pump. The main issue with Mopar MTL (a GL-4
gear oil) is that it does not contain reactive sulfur which can corrode brass
and bronze components in the transmission.

Good luck,
Andrew