Re: I hate this damn city!!!(everyone who replied)

From: marty galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 10:10:58 EDT

This ban happened in 1934 mostly in response to people poaching on others land during the
depression and somewhat to gangster activity. Silencers are legal if registered with the
ATF and the $200 tax is paid (the ATF technically does not have the right to regulate
firearms, but by imposing the $200 tax on silencers, automatic weapons, and short rifles,
they gain the right to enforce collection of that tax). To be a legal owner of any of
the above, you will have to fill out a form and possibly get your local law enforcement
head to sign a form. Even people who owned these things before the ban had to register
them and pay the $200 for each item. FFL (federal firearm license) holders can own them
without local LE permission (and I think sans the $200) but still have to keep meticulous
paperwork on them and have to keep their records and inventory available for an
inspection by ATF 24x7.

Marty