Re: Re: Rethinking my stereo plans

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 20:00:40 EDT

Jason&Sarah wrote:

> > If I get separate tweeters, where's a good place to mount them?
>
> Just put them in the stock locations on the doors. Now I would spend alittle
> extra here and get a decent set of components, cause all your music is gonna
> be coming from them. Leave the stock speakers in the rear and run those off
> of the head unit.

I planned on keeping the stock rear speakers for now. As for the tweeters, I
have no "stock location" as I got the base stereo when I bought the truck. Just
the basic 4 speaker locations. I'll have to either cut the doors or get (if
they exist) some little pods to put on the A-pillar.

> > Will I need a separate amp for a subwoofer, which will come probably next
> > spring at the earliest?
>
> Yes you will but there are some good options here. You could get an
> infinity basslink, which is what I have. It's a 10" sub with a 200w amp all
> in one unit. It hits pretty hard. There is also an MTX setup that will
> replace the rear under seat storage area with one that holds 2 10"s and an
> amp. The idea I have been playing around with now is to put 2 8" subs in
> the rear speakers stock location. And then put another amp for them under
> the seat.

Looked at the MTX Thunderform, but that might get expensive (plus, tearing the
whole cab apart is a daunting task). The guy at the stereo shop I went to last
weekend said he'd just get a box to throw on the back seat and take it out when
I need the seating room. That doesn't sound like a phenomenal solution.

> Some online places to shop:
> www.sounddomain.com
> www.autotoys.com
> www.thezeb.com
>
> Those places have the best prices on the net. I figured I saved around $500
> purchase online as opposed to local retailers and installing it myself.

Saved $500? May I ask how much total your system was? I imagine you'd have to
shell out quite a bit to SAVE that much. I was hoping to get this speaker & amp
deal done (no sub yet) for under $1000, preferably under $700.

Thanks for the thoughts!