Re: Re: Re: Ground connection...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 18:12:56 EDT

"Kevin \(MAGNUM S/T\) Hoegen" <kevinhoegen@email.com> wrote:
: By the way, is it safe to say that ANY metal framework inside the dash area
: is grounded?? I may have seen exactly what you're referring to, but I recall
: looking under the dash in that area and imediately seeing some bare metal
: work.

   That's a fairly safe assumption. If you're not sure, use a
multimeter's continuity feature or a test light; if using a multimeter,
hook one lead up to the negative battery post, and touch the other one to
the metal piece. If using a test light, hook the lead of the light up
to the negative battery terminal and touch the probe to the metal.
(Assuming your test light is the type which has an internal battery.)
If the multimeter beeps or the light comes on, its grounded. If your
multimeter doesn't have a continuity function, you can just hook one
lead to the positive battery terminal and the other to the metal piece
and measure the voltage. You should get battery voltage, or fairly close.
If not, or if you get a low voltage, its either not grounded or poorly
grounded. Either way you don't want to use it.

  Oftentimes, you will find screws or bolts under the dash which the
factory is using for grounds. (You can be certain that any wire attached
to bare metal is a ground.) One of these spots would be an excellent
location to attach your ground terminal.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'