Re: Hijackings. Was: Re: Headed to Help in NY City

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 01:34:14 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Speaking of which, that's one thing that kind've has me baffled;
> obviously the details are sketchy and we may never know what actually
> happened, but APPARENTLY these hijackers took the planes with nothing
> more than knives and cardboard cutters??? A couple of guys with knives
> vs 60-90 people? Hindsight is 20/20 and sitting here behind a computer
> screen its easy to criticize, but if you're going to die anyway, what
> have you got to lose? Take 'em out; or die trying... I suspect perhaps
> the passengers thought it was a "routine" hijacking, maybe they'd sit
> on the runway for a few hours before they were rescued. ?

Just saw on CNN that one passenger on AA flight 93 called his mother in San
Fran after it started (and I do not ever want to see that piece of video
again, it was just too much). He said there were 3 hijackers, with knives,
who also said they had bombs. Claiming to have a bomb will definitely tip
the scales.

> Also, and this one is even more obvious... Why is it possible for the
> bulkhead between the cabin and the pilots to be breached? If the
> hijackers can't get into the cabin, the plane isn't going anywhere.
> I seem to recall several years back Paul Harvey was reporting
> on a hijacking, and kept repeating the word "gas" several times during
> the story. If the cockpit was able to be physically isolated from the
> rest of the cabin and the plane were equipped with a system to release
> gas into the cabin to put everyone to sleep, the plane could be landed
> safely and the terrorists would wake up in a jail cell somewhere.

Well, if you can seal the cockpit from the cabin from gas, you'll likely
have a fortified bulkhead anyway.

> Anyway, its all just stupid speculation... What a day! :-( It still
> hasn't really sunk in for me; I keep expecting the credits to roll.

17 hours since it happened now and it's just sinking in.

> Dak content: ...not important right now.

A lot of people asked me today how my new shocks are...It really doesn't
seem to matter anymore.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com