.

From: Kevin \(MAGNUM S/T\) Hoegen (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 15:30:50 EDT

One thing which the president mentioned in his speach that I found
encouraging is the fact that he stated "those who harbor or support the
criminals" shall be held responsible (I dont recall it verbatim, but in
essence, this clears the way for us to attack a nation as opposed to trying
to track down the individuals themselves). I found this very encouraging, as
I have been fearing that this will be drawn out into a hide and seek game.

This may not be politically correct, but frankly I don't give a damn....if
we dropped a few thousand bombs on the Arab community in question, I can't
say that I would be sad. This country has gone to war because our
"interests" were at stake (ie, fuel, economy etc), well dammit, this was an
all out attack on our way of life...on our soil, our civilian
population.....and I hope to all that is holy that we strike back full force
and leave no room for retaliation. Screw politics....screw acting
"civilized" in the face of such brutality...time to show the world that you
simply don't f*&* with the United States of America.

...and as far as all this talk about airport security, and how the hijackers
got into the cabin......I can only say, think about if it was you and your
family on that plane. Who would ever imagine that they would do what they
did. The majority of hijackings we see in the news result in the plane being
'taken' somewhere as opposed to becoming a suicide bomb. The fact that it
happened to 3 out of 4 of the planes suggest that there really was NOTHING
the passengers and flight crew could do. I really hope we don't start
fighting amonst ourselves and blaming our way of life, when we should be
joining together as a united nation!

There is also much talk about our LACK of securtiy and hopes that we will
make things more secure. It is that LACK of security which defines our way
of life. Americans can cross state lines without "the proper papers", we can
come and go as we please because our country is based on a citizens right to
be free. YES, as long as we have a free society...we will inevitably be
vulnerable to a certain degree of attack......decisions made in haste may
forever change our way of life. Hell, look at the mideast...seems they all
are carrying weapons and the military is often on the streets....doesn't
seem to change the fact that it is a very dangerous place to be. I guess it
really depends on what WE as americans are willing to GIVE UP in the name of
national security. I am all for a little inconvenience if it means more
security......but beware when that inconvenience turns into loss of personal
freedom. It's times like these that activist for gun control, more police
and military power take advantage and try to pass legistlation which will
yield some of our rights and freedoms in the name of security. I support our
law enforcement and military, but I also know that there is a limit if we
wish to keep this democracy and this way of life. Unfortunately it is also
human nature that the more power and influence one has, the more likely that
power and influence will be abused.

I just hope we continue to pull together as a nation and target the real
enemies, not ourselves...else we become just like them.