Re: Hijackings. Was: Re: Headed to Help in NY City

From: jbleazard@Sympatico.ca
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 09:33:12 EDT

In article <9no6nu$lm8$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Yep, that's true, but how do you explain packing a gas mask or oxygen
> to airport security?

Oxygen: medical condition. My grandfather has been forced to spend the past
few years of his life on oxygen 10016030267125f the time. I'm certain that you can find
several less-than-honest doctors who would be willing to take a couple hundred
bucks and write up a perscription that you need to have your oxygen with you
in case your athsma or some other condition acts up, particularly given the
changes in pressure you encounter on an airplane.

> I would also hope that in the future, the passengers take a
> much less passive role, and not merely be sheep to be led to a slaughter.

Not to dismiss anything you said, I completely agree (just wanted to conserve
bandwidth). I think your point about "in the future" is the most important one
to point out. If you think back in time 72 hours, what did a hijacking mean?
Usually just a criminal on the run from the law who wanted a free ride to Cuba
or something. What they've always told the public in hijackings, bank robberies,
or any similar situation is to just keep your cool, cooperate, and wait for the
authorities to take action, and nobody will get hurt. I'm sure that if any of
these people had any idea that they were sitting in a missile, they would have
taken some action. Apparently this is what happened on the last plane. If this
is true, we all owe those people a huge debt of gratitude.

Jason Bleazard jbleazard@sympatico.ca Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white