Re: NYC/DC Atrocities

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 23:48:30 EDT

DAKSY wrote:

> Hey, DML.
> I just wanted to mention that after watching the conflagrations in NYC &
> DC last nite, I just felt kinda numb & overwhelmed. I was chatting with
> Andy on AIM during the evening & I know he took it pretty hard.

I think you may have picked up on it sooner than I did, Bob. I still
haven't fully realized what's happened, and every few hours another person
pops into my head who I don't know where they are. Within 24 hours I had
confirmation that everyone I know (except 1) in NYC and DC were OK. The
one I don't know about was not in an area of DC that was threatened and had
no reason to be in the Five-side-agon.

The full extent of my conversation Wednesday morning on ICQ with my friend
stationed at Andrews AFB was:

me: "whew"
him: "yeah"

All I needed to hear. He's alive and at home, if only for a couple minutes.

Many of my co-workers were in our NYC office on Tuesday. All my company's
employees are accounted for and safe. The woman over the cube wall from me
was one block away, getting into a cab, and looked up to see it happen.
She didn't find her husband until a little after 1 PM. He was safe as
well. Another fellow employee has a fiancee who works in the WTC, but he
didn't know where.

Between the DML, DOC and my girlfriend's father, I know four people who are
or were on-call to go in for the search. A very small number in comparison
to the "anonymous" men and women digging through the rubble, but it makes
the situation that much more real for me.

And now that it appears we're preparing for war, I think about my friends
and roommates from college who were in the Army and Air Force ROTC programs
and are now on active duty. One of whom is stationed in Minot, ND and was
here 1 week ago on vacation. I assume he was recalled.

I've been posting my thoughts on a forum elsewhere that I used to frequent
and have returned to for this occasion, as people got confused and thought
I was in NYC. I've posted far more there than I can repost to the DML;
Volumes poured out that I didn't know were there. I've been up till 2 in
the morning writing both nights since it happened. I haven't been able to
pull myself from the TV either night.

I've tried to keep my wits about me but this afternoon, going back and
re-reading the emails that I've sent at work since Tuesday morning, I
realize I've not been thinking very clearly, and dug myself into quite a
few holes with clients (if you do not use the *exact* words they want to
hear, they get upset). We're making up the rules for keeping our business
running as we go along. We rely upon exchanging data with the NYSE and
many other organizations in the financial district. Even if the entire
financial district, NYSE, and everything related, comes online Monday
morning without a problem, we will be be doing special
processing/procedures for at least a week

Sorry folks, I didn't intend to ramble like this. It just happened. I am
not one who has ever kept a journal, or been much to write about what he's
thinking, but I encourage all of you to somehow make record of your
thoughts and emotions in this time. If not for the world to see, at least
for yourselves. We must never forget what has happened this week, nor how
we have felt and reacted. Everything I have written online, and continue
to write as things unfold, I will archive and save forever.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com