11" Rear Brakes, 9 1/4 diff and Ram front brake swap on Gen II 2WD!

From: Robertson (jrobert@voyageur.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 00:25:57 EDT

Well I'm finished and it was quite the job but the results are definitely
worth it. For you that don't know I blew my 8 1/4 out in little pieces all
over the highway when the truck down-shifted into second while passing a
slower vehicle up a steep grade. I looked for 2 weeks for a replacement 8
1/4 diff but could find one in the area. I started to wonder if I could
swap in a 9 1/4 from a full size Ram. The old 8 1/4 diff measured around 56
1/2 wide and the Ram measured just under 58 1/2" It meant that the tire
would stick out about 3/4" to 7/8 " more, which is not very noticeable. The
9 1/4 diff's spring perches would have to be located to the bottom of the
axle. The RWABS will work the same as before. You can use your old parking
brake cables and the flex hose and ABS wiring harness can be reused. The
bolt pattern will become 5 on 5.5". For front brake conversion, so that you
end up with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern on the front, you'll need two new
callipers, both brake hoses, rotors and pads, and a two calliper mounting
brackets. All the part are from 84-93 Ram 2WD trucks. The calliper
mounting bracket bolts right on just like stock. The larger and noticeable
thicker rotors bolt on and you can reuse your old bearing, lockwasher and
retaining nut. You'll have to change the master cylinder to a newer
aluminium style (90 and up) Ram pick-up because the old Dak master has a
smaller internal piston and doesn't displace enough fluid which result in a
lower pedal. You'll have to make an adjustment on the booster's push rod to
allow the new master to bolt on. Measure the depth difference between the
hole in the old master cylinder and the new one and transfer it over to make
the rod adjustment. It's not as difficult as it sounds. The hardest part
of the whole job was probable finding the pinion angle. Get a angle finder
before you start and don't do as I did and think you can eyeball it because
you'll get it wrong and have to do it over again. Bolt everything in and
get your angle then weld your perch on. I would suggest that you just tack
them in place to try it out to make sure you don't have a vibration or
you'll be grinding off all the weld to make an adjustment latter. The best
part about the job when you finished is the brakes! Keep a spatula in the
truck to scrap your face off the windshield. You also end up with an axle
you'll never kill and a common 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Dave R
92 Dak 5.2 l, 9 1/4 surgrip, 11 inch rear brakes and Ram front brakes.