Re: WARNING - BE PREPARED!!!

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 13:18:10 EDT

I totally agree with Marty,

As simple as it sounds, turn your modems, Cable or DSL Modems/Routers, and
other internet connection devices OFF when you're not using them. This is the
simplest and most effective way to avoid possible security holes. If it's not
there (ON), they can't do anything at all.

While your online, Virus protection utilities and software/hardware firewalls
are pretty much a requirement for most work-at-home users and the cost of the
software (although not as secure as a true firewall or firewall capable router)
is a wise investment. I've personally used both BlackIce Defender and
ZoneAlarm Pro and would highly recommend either one (both cost the same). I
run both hardware and software firewalls...haven't had a single attack since
the day they went up. (You should've seen the hits beforehand, regardless of
how minor, from just a modem connection! Imagine constant ON services like
ISDN, DSL, and Cable modems.)

It sounds like a extreme measure for home users...but we (IT) do this on a
daily basis to secure our company confidential data and network servers. All
it takes is one to mess up many...be careful.

Other notes: If you receive a file from someone you don't know...don't open
it, just delete it. If you receive a file from someone you do know but it's
quesitonable, delete it. If it was important, they'll resend it.

- Bernd