Re: Check Engine light Q...

From: tony mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 13:33:45 EDT

I have a 97 also and about 6 mos. ago I had the same type of problem. It
turned out to be the O2 sensor going bad. I let it go for a while but the
light eventually began to sty on for longer periods. After that I began to
experience performance problems so I took it in. The only difference is
that when Ipulled the codes I got a code that indicated a possible O2
sensor malfunction.

When you said you got only a code 12 did you mean you only got a 12 and
then a 55 to signal end of codes? If all you were able to retrieve was the
12 then there may be more codes following that. when I get a code its 12,
whatever the problem code is , then a 55. Hope that helps.
Tony J Mastres
Senior Photographer
University of California @ Santa Barbara
Instructional Resources/Photo Services