RE: Comments and questions about 3.55 gears and new Daks.

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 21:42:27 EDT

Hey Steve,

Mine's 2K, so I don't know what changes have happened in two years. I do
have the Infinity system with the speakers in the doors (I assume you're
talking about the separate tweeters). My truck came with the 3.55's and
LSD. I have since changed them to 3.92's (the LSD is still in there). When
I had the 3.55's in there I had no problems with them, noise or otherwise,
though I have heard of some problems, past and present with the
differentials, though I don't believe it was specific to size. One thing
you do want to consider: If it's the 3.92's you want, then buy the truck
that way. Don't settle for the 3.55's, then change afterwards. The reason
is about $550 extra dollars. If the truck comes with the 3.92's, the cost
is $35 (check window sticker). If you have it done after the fact, it's
close to $600. The 4.7's with the 45RFE tranny is starting to become a
pretty solid solution. There were some adjustment problems the first year
(2K) but they seem to be getting ironed out as time goes on. The 4.7
aftermarket accessories were scarce in the beginning also but as demand as
increased so has the supply. Of course you could wait it out until the 5.7
hemis come out. ;-)

On the other hand, considering the problems you've had with yours I think
you'll be pretty happy with the new setup. You should be able to swing a
sweet deal now. Car manufacturers are not selling many cars these days with
the state of the economy, especially American manufacturers. If you can't
get a deal for invoice less the current incentives I would go to another
dealer. In any case you should get quotes from several sources before
buying. It's a buyer's market. Be sure and try www.autobytel.com .
They'll send you to a fleet manager of a dealer in your area.

Good luck and let us know what you drive home in. :-)

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD