RE: 300 RPM surge with cruise control (long)

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 12:53:46 EDT

Rick,
I also have a '99 5.2 liter Dak with cruise control. You didn't indicate if
the surge situation occurs when initially setting the speed or begins after
steady cruising for a period of time.
There is an explanation of "Overspeed/underspeed following speed control
set" in the '99 service manual, page 8H-4. The explanation is that if the
operator presses and releases the set button with their foot off the
accelerator (a "lift foot set" to begin speed control operation), the
vehicle may accelerate and exceed the desired set speed by up to 5 MPH and
then decelerate to less than the desired speed set before finally achieving
the desired set speed. The speed control has an adaptive strategy that
compensates for vehicle-to-vehicle variations in speed control cable
lengths. When the speed control is set with the operator's foot off the
pedal, the speed control thinks there is excessive cable slack and adapts.
If the "lift foot sets" are continually used, the speed control
overshoot/undershoot condition will develop.
There is an additional paragraph describing the procedure that will cause
the system to "unlearn" this condition.
If you believe this describes your situation, I can post the rest of the
manual's instructions or e-mail you directly.
Neil