re:Towin' Question

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 09:18:03 EDT

Ed,
That sounds like too much.
I tow a 1999 24' Jayco Light Hawk.. '95 Dak CC ,5.2L, 5sp, towing package,
3.55 LSD, extra springs, 3" catback
Manufacturers weight for the trailer was 3475.... actual weight towing was
around 5000.. Total weigh allowed for my 95 DAK is
I think - 10,200 lb. and I have been known to come real close.. Stop by a
truck stop and get weighed. Things add up real quick..

It gets extremely hot under the hood when towing - I always open the hood
at stops. Aftermarket things have melted under there.
Exhaust manifold was almost 760 degrees when I checked last July.
Only thing I've done to the cooling system is to replace the water pump and
plastic tank radiator with all metal one in '99 in Kansas and a new fan
clutch before my 2001 drive to Colorado.

I've towed from GA to the U.P. , to the Rocky Mtns and all through Florida.
Only problem was the thin air over 8000' causes loss
of power.
Wind is another thing.. My 24' is pretty big next to the DAK - but it is
designed for smaller tow vehicles. It's 7' wide and has torsion suspension
to keep it lower.
What has saved me is a good weight distributing hitch and sway control. Tow
package camd with heavy duty suspension, max cool fan, power steering
cooler etc..

Victor Williams
'95 Dak,CC,5sp,5.2L,Jacobs Ign,Jardine catback, 199k miles