Re: Four Wheel Drive Question

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 17:17:36 EDT

Brian Mingle asked:

"If driving in four wheel drive on pavement is not
good for the truck, why do people use them in the
winter time? By that I mean, not every road will
be covered in snow. Do I constantly take the truck in
and out of four wheel drive while driving in snowy
conditions?"

Theoretically, yes. You would shift into and out of
4wd a lot. Winter conditions are where a lot of people
get into trouble with 4wd. Because they don't want to
be thinking about "2wd or 4wd?" all the time. So some
folks just stick it in 4wd and leave it there and
drive just like they do under any other conditions
"because it's 4wd, you know". These are the folks you
see sliding around corners and through intersections.
Others leave it in 2wd because they're not exactly
sure when to go to 4wd. Or they just plain don't know
how to. These are the folks you see stuck in a
driveway or unable to climb a hill.

The folks you see driving calmly and under control in
winter conditions are better drivers. They know the
limitations of 4wd. If they've got a part time system
they know how to use it. Or they've got a full time
system.

Full time four wheel drive, as offered on the Dakota,
is fantastic in winter conditions.

-J.