Four Wheel Drive Question

From: Brian Mingle (bsm11@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 10:51:21 EDT

Last night I decided to play around in four wheel drive. I have not done
this since the dealer made some repairs to it, and some weird things
happened. Here's what I happened, and don't know if it is normal or not
because this is my first 4x4.

When driving along, I noticed a whining noise. Is that common?

When I turn a corner, the back tires start chirping. Is this common?

When backing up, and turning at the same time, should the truck lock up? I
had to take it out of four wheel drive to get it moving again.

My friend, who works for the same dealer where I bought the truck, said
that these are normal things for a four wheel drive. I am able to believe
that the tires will bark while turning a corner, but can't fathom the truck
locking up in reverse when turning.

Thanks

Brian S. Mingle
1998 Dakota Club Cab Sport