Re: Tires

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 13:58:37 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/01 5:27:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rsmith13@nycap.rr.com writes:

> Hey, DML!
> Thanx for all the responses from the tire guys...cuz now know I can get away
> with an 11.0 or 11.5 width on the OEM rims. 4Wheel Parts has a couple of
> different styles that they indicate will fit the 15 X 8 rims. Anybody got
> experience with the Super Swamper Thornbirds? They have a 31/15 X 15 for
> $131.95 each. The add says they ride quiet on the road...great in the
> mud...Is that the truth or a sales pitch. Not sure if I like the raised
> Sidelug feature, but I like the aggressive tread. Anybody got a feel for how
> they run in the white stuff? If these aren't a good choice looks like I
> gotta to to 32/11.5 in some other style cuz nobody (in the 4WP catalog) has
> a 31/11.
> Hayelp!

The thornbirds, and just about any swamper ever made SUCKS in the snow unless
you get them siped. A BFG Mud Terrain is a WAY better tire, and they're
radials, the Swampers are Bias Ply. If you really have your heart set on a
swamper look at the SSR's they're very agressive and radials. I've been
there before with my Dakota, you don't want a swamper for a driver, they're
loud, suck in the rain, flat spot, and wear FAST!!!

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming this weekend!!! (cus I blew up my 8 1/4) E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55
gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes, and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!