RE: RE: it was a sad day at the track friday nite

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 00:54:00 EDT

Why index it at +6? Just asking. If you think it could run better with 6,
i'll go adjust it at school tomorrow.

Also, does ur distributor index stay constant? Mine has the tendency to
jump around a couple degrees (Even with the distributor hold down CLAMPED on
it.. Could my timing chain be stretched or maybe it jumped a tooth?
-Chuong

PS. I'm planning to do a timing chain (last one was at 65k miles and it's
now 115k) on the dakota, any recommendations? and I noticed last time I
changed my chain that I didn't have the tensioner. and the haynes manual
says that I might have to remove the oil pan to get the tensioner in and
out? any comments?

<<

Indexing the distributor sets the injector timing...not ignition timing.
You are correct in the fact that the PCM controls timing...you can turn
the distributor all you want, it won't affect ignition timing.