re: GPS

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:43:01 EDT

Jeff asked:

"Does anyone have a GPS unit mounted in their trucks?"

I've got a Garmin GPSIII+ "soft-mounted" in my truck.
It's fantastic. I use it to navigate off-road, and to
get me to the trailhead.

It's easy to see the GPS receiver as a toy or neat
gimmick. And it probably is if you don't use it in
cunjunction with good maps, and under many conditions
also a compass and altimeter. But if you do your
homework first and learn some traditional navigation
skills, your GPS receiver can be one of your most
valuable tools.

A great book to read before you buy a GPS receiver is
"GPS Made Easy" by Lawrence Letham. It will help you
decide which reciever to buy and how to get the most
from it.

Joe wrote:
"even now that the goverment has the blocks back in
it still is close"

Are you talking about Selective Availability? Are you
saying that the government has turned it back on after
turning off in May 2000?

You are wrong. Selective Availability has not been
turned back on.
http://www.igeb.gov/sa.shtml

Check your facts before you make big statements like
that.

-J.