Re: duty on jet chip?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 21:57:41 EDT

Steve

At 11:22 PM 10/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
>hmm never ordered from the u.s before, how is duty paid on a product?

If delivery is by private courier, you would pay the delivery person
at the door ... same if by postal mail, unless you're not home and
you have to pick it up at your nearest postal service store where you
would pay.

>does the person shipping it pay or the person buying it pay?

Some U.S. companies offer free shipping within the continental States.
You would then have to pay shipping from the border to your address.

>also if the person buying the product pays, when does he pay??? when picking
>up parcel at post office???

The courier or mail service would convert the bill of sales price to CDN using
the current exchange rate. GST and Ont. sales tax would be added to this
converted price. Unless you have your own customs broker, a private courier
e.g. federal express, UPS, etc. will charge you a fairly hefty brokerage
fee based
on sales price. This price will be converted to CDN and federal gov't will put
a GST on this. I'm not sure is postal mail does this. There will also be
a $5.00CDN
paper administrative fee whether by private courier or postal mail.

>also what would the duty be on a Jet chip, and can it be claimed as a used
>auto part or something????

I know when I bought an MP PCM from a U.S. web, discount wholesaler I paid
according all of the above.

If it is a private sale, you could ask the seller to clearly mark a value, item
description and state that it is a gift. I believe (not totally sure)
that, if the
value is $60CDN or lower than it can come in as a gift.

HTH. Bob