RE: How stuff works, pinging STOPPED

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 22:12:15 EDT

Very cool site. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET] On Behalf Of Ken Allgood
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 8:38 PM
To: dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
Subject: DML: How stuff works, pinging STOPPED

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

I found this to be of interest, specifically for those of us that are
less than knowledgeable about engines. Scroll towards the bottom-middle
of the page, and there's a link for how engines work. Seems to be very
intuitave, yet easy to understand. Although it doesn't tell you what
everything is, it lays out the basic concepts of what a gasoline engine
is and how it works. Also explains about the irriating spark-knock that
so many of us get (ever
get that pinging sensation???? nasty!). Speaking of which, every since
put my Hypertech PCM in, I've had a spark knock under heavy load (heavy
acceleration when AC is on or just pulling a 1000lb trailer)... I've
been
using 93 octane, but still knocks under the heavy load... since last
week, I've been using octane-booster, and haven't heard a knock yet..
Will be
towing the trailer later this week, will see how it does.. Also,
explains
why getting a colder sparkplug also helps against the spark-knock... so
autolite 3923's are definitely going in SOOOOOON :-)