How stuff works, pinging STOPPED

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 21:37:48 EDT

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

I found this to be of interest, specifically for those of us that are less
than knowledgeable about engines. Scroll towards the bottom-middle of the
page, and there's a link for how engines work. Seems to be very intuitave,
yet easy to understand. Although it doesn't tell you what everything is, it
lays out the basic concepts of what a gasoline engine is and how it works.
Also explains about the irriating spark-knock that so many of us get (ever
get that pinging sensation???? nasty!). Speaking of which, every since I
put my Hypertech PCM in, I've had a spark knock under heavy load (heavy
acceleration when AC is on or just pulling a 1000lb trailer)... I've been
using 93 octane, but still knocks under the heavy load... since last week,
I've been using octane-booster, and haven't heard a knock yet.. Will be
towing the trailer later this week, will see how it does.. Also, explains
why getting a colder sparkplug also helps against the spark-knock... so
autolite 3923's are definitely going in SOOOOOON :-)