Dakota's with 8 3/4"

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 01:38:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/01 8:04:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
willcoughlin@hotmail.com writes:

> Cool! Now I feel like quite the fool for not remembering that an 8 3/4"
> housing is steel. Just wanted to be sure and cover everything. Hope
> everything goes well-TTYL,

Jeez, I'm sorry if I made you feel that way, I wasn't trying to be mean or
condecending, just lettin ya know :o) Anyway, I have all the sh... stuff in
my basement right now, I have my redrilled drums all painted up with POR-15
semi gloss black and looking pretty, the backing plates are all painted and
pretty, as is the axle housing with the exception of where I'll be removing
the factory spring perches, and welding new ones on, as well as where I'm
putting my shock mounts. The 3rd member is currently painted too but isn't
assembeled yet, that will come tomorrow night, the pinion is already set up,
all I have to do is bolt the ring gear to the carrier and torque it down,
then set up my back lash and carrier bearing preload and my 3rd member will
be ready to put in, also on the to-do list for tomorrow is to install all the
brake stuff onto the backing plates so all I have to do once the axle is in
is put on the backing plates, slide in the axles, and drums and bleed the
brakes, should save me some down time with the install. I still have to buy
U-bolts, gear lube, new shocks while I'm at it, spring plates since the mopar
performance ones I bought are wrong, the center pin hole is HUGE, maybe some
more pinion preload set up shims just incase I don't like how much preload I
have in it right now and I lost all the shims in the year since I first set
it up, oh yeah I need to pick up a 3/4 pipe plug for the fill hole too (don't
mind me I'm thinking outloud!) I think that's about all I should need,
hopefully things will go smooth, the 8 1/4 is getting the torch taken to it
friday night after work so wish me luck LoL!!! I hope everything turns out
ok cus I have a 1000 mile trip I'd like to take the truck on the following
weekend if all works out OK. Man I hope things go well! Excited and Nervous!

Luke
Dakota with a blown up 8 1/4"
Coming this weekend come hell or highwater! E-body 8 3/4" 3.55 SureGrip, 10"
brakes, and 6 lug Moser Alloy axles!