Re: Group Buy: ODB-II Scan tool

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 21:22:14 EDT

I'm pretty sure it is Alex Peper who runs obd-2.com. I've got about 20 emails
w/him signing Alex Peper every time. Maybe his son helps - I dunno. I've been
using his scan tool product for at least 3 years. I got a bad cable initially
(he was just starting the business apparently) and went thru several emails
before I got it replaced (free of charge - and still have the old one). My
initial purchase was for the ISO (chry/import only) interface at $50 off an ebay
auction (from Alex). Since then, I've purchased another interface for Ford
models (PWM I think) for $62 I think. I can recommend his stuff for many
reasons but mostly because he allows free software upgrades. The cable is
merely an interface and the computer program is where this tool really shines
above the rest. Go to http://www.obd-2.com and see the screenshots for
yourself. You can even download the program and try it out using a datafile
from a scan session. Me, Bernd, or several others can send you datafiles of
probably the engine of your choice (as long as its mopar 8) and you can see what
it does.

The program has really evolved into quite a mature product as I've seen at least
12 iterations of it and believe me it has come a long way. I never imagined
that my initial $50 purchase would still be exciting me (new software features
mostly) for this long. And for the icing on the cake - I can hardly wait for
the next FREE update to arrive on his website <I think I'll pull up a browser
window and check for updates now>...

My only complaints are the lack of component actuation functionality
(pre-programmed that is, maybe you can send the proper string if known) and the
scan rate isn't that good when requesting all sensor readings.

Any questions? Fire away and you should get several opinions probably as this
seems to be a hot topic as of late.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump DynaGearDoubleRoller
WindageTray CompTAs