Re: 4cyl dakotas Was Which Dakota

From: AWyseGuy@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 00:25:27 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2001 11:06:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
kenneth@berntsen.cc writes:

> I had a 90 Dak with the 2.5. I believe it was actually a Mitsu engine.
> Don't know where all they're using the new "Magnum" 2.5 but when it was
> redesigned I know they did work pretty hard to get as much torque and HP
> out of it as they could. I think one of the things that was done was to
> increase its stroke. Hmmmm so does that make it a stroker I4?

A 90 would be the basically the motor from the Omni & K cars; Not a mitsu a
mopar.. it's a 2.2 with s lengthened stroke & balance shafts added to smooth
it out at low RPM. The newer 2.5 "Magnum" is an OHV while the older one was
already OHC. a little step backwards; but the earlier 2.5's had more
tendancy to crack heads. if/ when they get run hot; it tears them up. And
rather than redesign the head to hold up.. they just went to another 2.5 that
was in the Mopar parts bins from the Jeep buyout.
Most the people I've met & talked to with 4 cyl Gen III's all are
disappointed with the performance. While a Gen II 4cyl can run with V6's
from GM & Ford. My first 2.5L Dak liked to cruise at about 105-110MPH.
would catch 2nd gear anytime I chose, and occaisionally even 3rd if I really
tried. Admitted.. I'd only managed to get rubber in 3rd gear 2-3 times after
I put 235/75r15 Long Trail T/A's on it.
Aaron W in AL

94 RC WS 2.5L 5spd
95 RC Sport 2.5L 5 Spd