re: sleep in truck?

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 00:41:51 EDT

Punch asked:

"are truck caps water tight?? planning on getting a
good quality cap, but it must be water tight!"

I've slept in the back of my Dakota, under a Snugtop
Hi-liner shell, something like 40 nights in the past
year and a half. Quite comfortable; never gotten wet.

On a warm night it helps to open the windows to
disperse the condensation. My shell has window
screens. The least comfortable night I've ever had was
last winter in the Eastern Sierra. The air temperature
got down to -1 Farenheit and I could not sleep. At 4
a.m. I pulled on my boots and ran up front to the cab.
Started the engine and ran the heater for a half-hour
until it got to 40 degrees inside the truck. Kept the
motor running while I loaded my gear into the truck
and drove into town where it was ten degrees below
zero. That was one of the best restaurant breakfasts
I've ever had in my life.

Buy a good quality shell and you won't be
disappointed. I still carry a tent on my trips but I
haven't used it since I got the shell.

I also have a Bedrug which helps to insulate me from
the cold sheetmetal of the truck. Some folks say the
back of a truck is colder than sleeping on the ground.
I say it's more comfortable.

-J.