Tranny noises/problems

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 19:41:17 EDT

  Recently my transmission (I assume) has been making strange noises.
Here's what happens:
I start the truck after it has sat a while (overnight or through the day)
I back it out of the garage or parking spot.
It makes a pretty loud scraping type sound...very strange.
I put it in drive and it will make it while idling around the parking lot,
and will increase in sound with a little gas.
However, when you give it gas to move onto the road, the noise is heard for
a brief second and then dissapears...it's not heard anymore.
The truck shifts great in all gears, and after it's warmed up the noise is
not really heard when taking off from stoplights.
Reason I suspect tranny:
I cannot duplicate the sound with the tranny in park and reving the engine.
3 times when I have backed out of the garage and onto the road, the truck
has died when I put it in drive....just like turning the key off. These
incidents happened about 2 weeks apart.
The tranny has plenty of fluid and hasn't been low that I know of. I last
changed it and the filter about 20,000 miles ago. The truck now has 90,000
on it.
My truck is a 95 V6 Automatic 4x4
Any advice or possible causes are welcome.
Thanks!
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/