Re: 00 dak 4.7 engine problem

From: Ransom T Holbrook (ransom@setel.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 16:37:05 EDT

I believe your experiencing detonation. Try going to a higher octane gas
and see if it quits.

Somewhere in my "pea brain", I remember that in late September gas companies
switch to the 'cheaper formula" and that could be causing it. Also, the 4.7L
doesn't have a knock sensor. Recently, I was towing my race car with my
DAK and got some 87 Mobil gas in N.C. My 4.7L would ever-so-slightly rattle
on the hills at 1/2 throttle, the sound would go away at WOT. On the next
fillup in VA, the rattle disappeared. Of course, I'm hauling a 3500 lb car
on a dual wheel trailer with about 500 lbs of tools/tires, with me and my
wife the truck. (and I still get 16 MPG) ...