45RFE noise,is it normal?

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 20:18:50 EDT

I may be paranoid because of my last Dak,but are the
45RFE`s supposed to make a little noise? Two
noises,actually.One is like a power steering pump-like
whine that changes with speed,and is most evident when
it`s cold.The other noise does not sound at all
suspicious (it just makes me believe it`s the nature
of this transmission),but still makes me wonder what
it is.THAT sound is like a turbo,but it does not
change in pitch.It just makes a faint WOOOOOOO
sound,like a turbo winding up.Subtle,but I hear it.
Now there is no problem as far as shift quality or
anything.Seems fine to me,and I know that many
transmissions do have characteristic noise.But any
whine noise,no matter how loud,doesn`t seem normal to
me.This Dak has 4100 miles on it,so I`m doubting that
it`s got a problem,but I`d still like to hear any
comments from people with the 4.7/45RFE regarding
this.BTW,the WOOOOOO sound is very faint,and you can`t
ever hear it unless the windows are rolled up.The
whine is a little louder,but seems to diminish some
after the truck is driven for a while.K? Thanks.
Steve P.

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.