Re: loss of power 2k 4.7 QC help! (way too long of a reply)

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 23:30:56 EDT

I know just where you`re at! I got rid of my 99 V6 for
power loss/sag/hesitation. It pretty much had the
problem from the beginning(intermittently),and the
selling dealer worked on it several times to try to
correct it.They said it "acted like it was cutting
out" only once for them.Anyway,nothing they did ever
helped. And none of the other local Dodge dealers ever
saw a problem with it.(It wasn`t THAT intermittent!) I
took my truck into the shop on two occasions when it
got much worse,and once it was the cat,the other time
it was the TPS. But there is something with Dodge`s
trucks,maybe sensors,maybe computer programming,that
makes them run OK sometimes,and absolutely haul butt
at other times.(Not due to gas,weather,or the A/C
being on,either.) When the cat was being replaced (FOR
A WHOLE WEEK) in my 99 Dak,they gave me a 2001 Quad
Cab Ram 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L to drive in the
meantime.It lacked some power at times,but to a much
less noticeable degree than my V6,because the 360 had
more power,I guess.My 2001 Dak with the 4.7 seems to
be a little less strong at certain times also,for no
apparent reason. It`s nothing like the V6 that I
had,which I would call an actual sag/hesitation,and it
doesn`t sputter or miss.This is more like a "gain
change" in throttle response,where sometimes it feels
like a lot of power can be had just by barely opening
the throttle,and other times you have to open it up
quite a bit more to get it to wake up. My wife`s 2001
3.8 Mustang is like that,too,in an even bigger way.
Maybe it`s just because these auto companies are being
forced to comply with new emissions and mileage
standards,and it`s harder to get consistent
performance from the tighter parameters. At least now
I have enough horsepower that I can enjoy driving it
all the time,and not have to worry about being able to
pass a Ford Escape when I have to. I really,REALLY
like my new Dak. :) It`s byoooduhful. Steve P.
                                         Dakota R/T QC
<thegrants@snet.net> wrote:
> I've notice a power drop off in the last few days,
> seems the truck not
> really skipping but its puttering. Changed plugs
> (3923's) put stock airbox
> and filter, plus removed jet stage II no change.
> Tried fuel injector
> cleaner, no change.
> But listen to this! Stopped in to the dealer, guy
> takes it for a ride, says
> seems ok to me. I could hear it wasn't right. Then
> he says! I 'll put it
> on the computer but I know I won't find anything. I
> just got a call to
> confirm that. They say they don't find anything
> wrong. Anyone have anything
> similar happen? I told them to check catalytic
> converter.

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.