RE: Horn Question

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 11:09:47 EDT

Ed,

This info is only good if DC kept the same circuit wiring and color codes
from '99 to '01 otherwise it isn't worth the paper it's written on. ;-)
Each of the horns on a '99 has a dark green/red wire and a black wire. The
dark green/red comes from the horn relay and should be hot when the horn
button is pressed. The black wires go to ground.
My preference for additional horns would be to go back to the horn relay in
the PDC and run additional wire to the new horns. Terminal 87 on the relay
should have the dark green/red wire. This goes to the horns. I would use at
least 18-gauge wire and maybe 16 gauge. If memory serves, the original horns
have a plastic case requiring the wired ground. If your additional horns are
steel, the mounting point might serve as the ground.

Neil