Re: Clutch Replacement Questions?

From: Car37 (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 18:00:37 EDT

I just replaced mine when I had some work done on the transmission.

1. Does the transmission need to be removed, or can it just be slid back
and tilted down to do the replacement? I guess this would be as good a
place as any to ask just how heavy that sucker is too?

The transmission can be picked up by one person, but if you are doing this out
on your driveway, under the truck, we used some straps from the frame, into the
truck and down the shifter hole to steady it at the end, with a jack stand on
the front to level it, the transmission was leveled with the strap and then with
two of us, we slid the transmission in place, was easier then I thought it
would be.

2. Is there a decent throw-out bearing available that doesn't sound like a
can of loose ball-bearings? I'm thinking about purchasing a Centerforce
clutch. If they have a decent bearing to go along with the clutch, I'll
just get theirs.

I just used the factory throw-out bearing, the one that was in there was in good
shape and my fathers 87 Ram has the original with no problems.

3. I suppose its a good idea to replace the pressure plate along with the
clutch. Would this be correct?

Pressure plate was supplied

4. I also suppose its a good idea to resurface the flywheel also. Would
this also be correct?

My flywheel was still good, so I left it.

The clutch was still in good shape but since I had the transmission out thought
I would replace it and keep the old one for end of life if needed. I have only
113000Km (about 70000 miles) and there was very little wear on the clutch. I do
abit of towing and some offroading.
As for removing the transmission, the most difficult areas was the front
driveshaft to transfer case bolts, the wrenches wanted to round them and there
was no room for a socket set. I ground down a socket and made just enough room
to get in there. The other area of difficulty is there was not much room to
work to remove the bolts from the engine to transmission, I just done a 2 inch
body lift which made things a bit easier, do not know, but I think the exhaust
might have to be removed without the extra clearance. Also having a torque
wrench handy for the reinstall is good. Good luck. Mine is a 96 4X4.

Shawn Englehart