Re: NY Emissions Testing With Z-Tube

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 18:02:37 EDT

Paul Macey <pmacey@ans.net> wrote:
: First, let me say I really like the new 4 inch Z-tube and the 9 inch
: Pro-Flow filter.

: For all my fellow New Yorkers who have yearly Emission Inspections (not
: just safety inspections), have you had a Inspection done with the Z-tube,
: and if so, did you pass or where told your truck wasn't Emissions legal
: due to the non CARB approved (the air filters aren't CARB approved, right)
: Z-tube setup?

  I would recommend hanging on to the stock airbox, just in case. When
I mention CARB to the place that inspects my Dak, they think I am
talking about fuel injection. :-) Its just easier to plop the stock
airbox on there (takes all of 30 seconds on my truck) than to try to
argue with them. They are a fairly liberal place, as far as inspections
go, they are really only concerned with covering their tail. So, I just
put the stock airbox on there to keep them happy.

  Your situation may be different, so that may not apply to you, but I
would recommend hanging on to the stock airbox, at least until you go
through your first inspection; and if it actually isn't CARB approved,
I would keep the stock airbox forever. I would also recommend hanging on
to the stock pieces just so you can put it back to stock in case you ever
decide to sell it; if you are selling to a non-performance oriented person
or trading in, you should be able to get more for it if it all looks stock.

  At that point, you could keep the z tube to put on your new dak or
just sell it.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'