RE: Re: ATTN Bernd: MAP Charger/Bypass

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 10:32:37 EDT

What you have to remember is that we use a 1-BAR MAP. Once boost hits
the MAP, it's all over.

Normally Aspirated Example:
Key ON/Engine OFF Voltage: 4.66V
WOT MAP Reference Voltage: 4.60-4.65V

Supercharged Example:
Key ON/Engine OFF Voltage: 4.66V
WOT MAP Reference Voltage: 4.85-4.99V

Two things can happen during the transition point (which is TPS
related):

(1) Extreme bucking/surging which is caused by a lean-out condition due
to the MAP being out of range
(2) Check engine light illuminated due to #1

A diode won't help as the voltage is still "out of range". It cannot go
above the Key ON/Engine OFF setting. This is what the MAP Charger
fixes. It checks the MAP reference voltage to the Key ON/Engine OFF as
well as monitoring TPS. Since boost can come in at later points
(throttle position and blower specific), I left the adjustability factor
in there and watch the TPS rather than guess at when the problem starts.

I'll be going through the website and fixing a bunch of typo's and other
errors (along with this one). Thanks for catching the typo. :)

- Bernd