8 3/4" Swap Vibrations...

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 01:26:40 EDT

> Hey did you notice any vibration at highway speeds? Was the center section=
=20
> on the old rear end offset slightly, I know on the 2WD's it is but I'm not=
=20
> sure if it's the same rear on the 4WD's. On the 8 3/4 rears the center=20
> section is....well in the center and I thought this may produce some=20
> vibration.=20
> Sam South=20
> ET 13.61,MPH 105.88=20
> 95 Dak, 5.9L,3.90 LSD,5-speed=20
> http://people.mw.mediaone.net/sawcut64/home.html=20
> http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Mt5J8FaDfVCv6/=20
>=20

Well, yes, BUT, I shortened the shaft 3/4" and didn't have it re balanced, m=
y=20
truck ALWAYS had a small driveline vibration at 70+ even with the 8 1/4=20
healthy, it had a horrid one with it sick. =A0My driveshaft was at a compoun=
d=20
angle before the swap (up down and side side) and had a HORRIBLE pinion angl=
e=20
of about 9 degrees up. =A0I'm thinking my vibration is the unbalanced (since=
=20
shortening) driveshaft, I sure hope so, if not an aluminum shaft may help, o=
r=20
I just live with it, we'll see... =A0I'll keep you updated when I race it wi=
th=20
the 4.56's and wether or not the balancing helps... =A0Thus far at 1300 mile=
s I=20
couldn't be happier, and I'm VERY glad I stuck with the stock wheel brgs, I=20
think it's a way stronger design, more work to set up, but in the long mile=20
run worth it I think!=20

Luke=20
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota 318, Auto=20
8 3/4" E-Body 3.55 gears Sure grip and 6 Lug Custom axles=20
16.75 @ 83 with the old rear end...=20
TBD w/ 8 3/4=20