Re: 97 Dakota Dash died...

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 21:53:02 EST

At 04:32 PM 10/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, when it blinked out, ALL guages die, AIRBAG light came on, as did
>washer and seatbelt I think, now all is dead not comming on except those
>lights, oh, the chime sounds/sounded when the dash would blink out also...
>Thanks! Tony.

OK, thought I could save some typing. There are 10 steps in doing
a Preliminary Diagnosis, according to the FSM.

STEP 1: If indicator lamps operate but none of hte gauges operate,
go to step 2. If all of the gauges and the data bus message-controlled
indicator lamps are inoperative, go to step 5.

STEP 2: Check the Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the junction block.
If OK, go to step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component
as required and replace the faulty fuse.

STEP 3: Check for battery voltage at the IOD fuse in the junction block.
If OK, go to step 4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

STEP 4: Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove
the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Check
for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the cluster wire
harness connector. If OK, go to Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK,
repair the open circuit to the IOD fuse as required.

STEP 5: Check the switched ignition fuse in the junction block.
If OK, go to step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component
as required and replace the faulty fuse.

STEP 6: Turn ignition switch to ON and check for battery voltage
at the switch ignition fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to step 7.
If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.

STEP 7. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Disconnect
and isolate the battery negative cable. Reinstall the instrument
cluster. Connect the battery -ive cable. Set the parking brake.
The red brake warning lamp should light. If OK, go to step 8.
If not OK, go to step 9.

STEP 8: Turn the ignition switch to OFF. Turn on the park lamps
and adjust the panel lamps dimmer rheostat to the full bright
position. The cluster-illumination lamps should light. If OK,
go to step 10. If not OK, repair the power ground circuit from
the instrument cluster wire harness connector to ground as required.

STEP 9: Turn the ignition switch to OFF. Disconnect and isolate
the battery -ive cable. Remove instrument cluster. Connect battery
-ive cable. Turn ignition switch to ON. Check for battery voltage
at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the
cluster wire harness connector. If OK go to Self-Diagnostic Test.
If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block as required.

STEP 10: Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the instrument cluster. Check for continuity between
the logic ground circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector
and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to
the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to ground
as required.

The instrument panel is a very complex unit as you can see from
the above. If you decide to use the above or any of the above
and it leads you to the Self-Diagnostic Test (a 7-step procedure),
let me know.

Bob