Re: dual exhaust straight back on a 3.9v6

From: KH (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 22:53:42 EST

Hey eric..I have a 99 3.9L V6 with a flowmaster dual outlet muffler. I did
a dual exhaust striaghtback setup and recently incorporated it with my roll
pan...although initially I simply had the pipes exiting just underneath the
rear bumper. Here's a pic:

http://webpages.charter.net/khoegen/back.jpg

The easiest and most economical way to go about a dual straightback setup
while keeping your flowmaster is to stop into a local muffler shop and have
them do a custom setup. If you are doing this job with the stock bumper in
place, it's a fairly striaghtforward setup that any muffler shop can handle.
I highly recommend the shop that did mine, if you happen to be in my area.
They simply ran two seperate pipes, each going around the spare tire area
and exiting out the back. I kept the pipes the same diameter as the
flowmaster outlet....going any larger than 2.5" with a dual setup on a V6
and you will definitely lose too much low end.

It would be good to get a set of tips before the job, that way they can weld
them on at the same time, but this is by no means a necessity if $$ is
tight. I chose euro style dual tips which add quite a bit of resonance and
give that lil V6 a nice rumble :) The tips I chose are 2 1/2 inlet to 3"
outlet.

Feel free to email me direct if you have more questions as far as materials,
cost etc.

Good luck
Kevin

""Eric Giblock"" <egiblock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i have a 3.9 v6 99d dakota sport pickup truck right now.. i have a
> flowmaster dual chamber 40 series exhaust on it right now..
>
> the other day ago i saw a dakota 4x4 (looked like a 3.9v6) with 2 pipes
out
> the back end for the exhaust and they looked like 2.5" or 3" pipes.
>
> what's the easiest way to do this to my truck? and the cheapest ?..
could