Important Safety Question

From: Randall Chet (rdc@southpaw-design.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 06:37:43 EST

Good Evening All-

I don't post much to the list, but my wife had quite a scare this
afternoon in our 99 Durango, and i need to know if anyone else here has
had a similar trouble. My wife and our 3 kids were coming back from
visiting her folks, and there is quite a grade up to our town, so when
she got up to the top on the highway, she let up on the accelerator and
surprise, the truck kept going! It got up to about 80 before she decided
to shut off the engine. I came to pick up the truck, and it started fine
and idled right down. She drove the car, and once I started off I could
tell the truck definately had something wrong with the linkage, I could
hardly get up to highway speed, there hardly was any pedal travel. Once
at home the problem was easily found: the accelerator cable had slipped
off the pulley on the throttle arm.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Are there any tsb's out on this
problem? Is this a freak occurance? She really doesn't want to trust the
truck until I can tell her that it is definately fixed and won't happen
again.

Thanks,

Randall Chet