Re: Important Safety Question

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 22:05:54 EST

That sounds like a pretty rare thing to have
happen.I`ve not heard of any TSBs,although Fritz`s Ram
page lists most all Ram and Dakota/Durango TSBs. If
it`s just a matter of a cable jumping off track,you
should be able to fab up a little bracket that works
as a guard,that will keep the cable from being able to
jump away from the pulley. I`ve done this before on a
weight bench that did the same thing,it`s the same
principle.What`s strange is,the cable should have
constant pressure on it.Only if the cable gets slack
in it should it be able to jump track.Maybe the
linkage needs lubed,or the return spring may be loose
or broken.That`s my $2.87. Steve P.
--- Randall Chet <rdc@southpaw-design.com> wrote:
> Good Evening All-
>
> I don't post much to the list, but my wife had quite
> a scare this
> afternoon in our 99 Durango, and i need to know if
> anyone else here has
> had a similar trouble. My wife and our 3 kids were
> coming back from
> visiting her folks, and there is quite a grade up to
> our town, so when
> she got up to the top on the highway, she let up on
> the accelerator and
> surprise, the truck kept going! It got up to about
> 80 before she decided
> to shut off the engine. I came to pick up the truck,
> and it started fine
> and idled right down. She drove the car, and once I
> started off I could
> tell the truck definately had something wrong with
> the linkage, I could
> hardly get up to highway speed, there hardly was any
> pedal travel. Once
> at home the problem was easily found: the
> accelerator cable had slipped
> off the pulley on the throttle arm.
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them? Are there any
> tsb's out on this
> problem? Is this a freak occurance? She really
> doesn't want to trust the
> truck until I can tell her that it is definately
> fixed and won't happen
> again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randall Chet

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.