Gen II transmission problem.. any clues?

From: Richard C. Stillwell (rstillwell@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 06:37:07 EST

All hail DML,

    My GII Magnum V6 is having slight transmission problems and I'm curious
if anyone has any suggestions on what it might be before I run out to a
local mechanic.
    When in first gear and when transitioning into second gear, my
transmission slips, taking me into neutral for about a half a second. All
that results of this is a little revving and some tire chirps, but I'm
getting worried. Any thoughts on what part of the transmission might be
causing the problem? No other gears are affected and it seems to happen
more on turns and inclines, though it happens regularly.
    I'm hoping it's just the fluid, but I doubt it. Just didn't want to go
into the mechanic blind. Transmissions aren't my area of expertise.

Thanks DML,
Richard
1995 Dakota Sport Magnum V6