Important safety question day 2

From: Randall Chet (rdc@southpaw-design.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 07:51:29 EST

Hi y'all-

Here's what happened when I took our Durango to the dealer. Of course
the first thing asked is whether the cruise was on. We rarely use the
cruise round here because of the mountains. Cruise really kills gas
mileage on these roads. She wasn't using it but she did make sure it was
off, and of course she was using her brake which should have shut it off
anyways. Now I didn't make the connection until I was at the dealer, but
the last time I (we) used cruise when we went up to Chryslers at
Carlise, and it wouldn't hold a steady rate of speed. It felt like the
converter was unlocking and locking, back & forth. Like I said, we
rarely use cruise and so I completely forgot about it. I should have
disconnected the wiring until I could get it looked at.

At the dealership, one of the mechanics mentioned that a Ram that came
in had a defective cruise servo that pulled the cable to FULL THROTTLE.
Scary *&^$%^!! for anyone not prepared to take action. Here's what I
figure happened: the servo pulled the cruise cable, even though the
cruise was off, and when my wife tried to fiddle with the accelerator
pedal the slack in the throttle cable caused it to jump off the pulley.

Guess the lesson is- if your cruise shows any sign of funny business,
get it looked at. And if ANYONE has heard of this happening, let us
know. Our Durango has only 40,000 miles on it and I hope no one else has
had this happen to them. It would be much easier for me to convince my
wife that the truck is safe and it's only a freak occurance if that were
so. Thanks for your time.

Randall Chet
99 Black SLT 5.9, R/T rims, K&N, Bad #@%$& tow vehicle
69 Hemi Orange Dart GTS, 383, 11k miles, race car it's whole life