Re: Re: Re: Should lug nuts be lubed?

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 22:03:11 EST

On 5 Nov 01, at 18:00, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> "redmopar99" <redmopar99@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> : No they should not be lubed. There is a reason they get torqued and to lube :
> them up defeats the purpose of trying to keep them on. I'm not saying if you :
> lube them that the wheel will fall off, but it increases the risk of losing :
> lugnuts while driving ... and we all know what a lugnut could do to the : paint
> on your truck! Hehe!
>
> Yep, plus if you lube them up and torque to spec, you will be
> overtorquing the lugnuts. If you make a habit of taking your wheels
> on and off (i.e. racers, etc.) do yourself a favor and take Bob Tom's
> advice to get some good quality lug nuts. The stock ones "My-T-Strip"
> ;-) are junk, and will ruin your lugs.
>

> --

lubing the nuts will NOT make them more likley to come off. In fact it will
hold the wheel on tighter and be less likley to come off. Here is an article
explaining why. http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_1.htm

Still, I would not lube the lug nuts. When they are torqued to the reccomended value they
will have too much tension and could distort things. I did this to my S-10 and it swaged the
nuts onto the lugs. This made it difficult to remove the lugs. I suggest you use the lowest
suggested torque value, if you do lube the nuts.

Drive Safe,

Joe

Joe Dille
Telford, PA USA