RE: Rotten Egg Smell

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:43:41 EST

-----Original Message-----
 Subject: DML: Rotten Egg Smell
JP,

It is most likely the converter, however I don't agree that there is
anything wrong with it.
It's always been easy for me to determine if I'm following a car with less
than 2000 miles on it. The sulfur smell is the converter "breaking in".
Depending on wind, temperature, and maybe some other variables, you may or
may not smell it when you get out of the truck. In traffic it's easy to
smell a new converter in a vehicle ahead of you.
When these were first introduced, there were thousands of complaints about
the odor. Eventually the odor will go away.
Shortly after that happens, the spot-welds holding the heat shield in place
will break and it will start to rattle. LOL.

Neil