RE: New Scan Tool: Trouble codes = New coil/ignitiion system?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 20:15:39 EST

Ken,

On the P0351...you'll need a MSD 8910 Tach Adapter. (This is a common
problem if you're running a MSD system.) But here's the actual P-Code
descriptions for both:

On the P0351:
P-0351 Ignition Coil #1 Primary Circuit

SYMPTOM
P-0351 IGNITION COIL #1 PRIMARY CIRCUIT

WHEN MONITORED
With battery voltage greater than 8 volts during engine cranking or
greater than 12 volts with engine running, and with engine rpm less than
2016, and none of the coils in dwell when checked.

SET CONDITION
Peak current is not achieved with battery based dwell plus 1.5 msec of
diagnostic offset. It takes less than 3 seconds during cranking or up to
6 seconds while running to set.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Ignition coil #1 driver circuit short to ground
ASD relay output circuit open
Ignition coil #1 driver circuit open
Ignition coil connector observable def
Ignition coil def
PCM def (#1 primary circuit)

On the P0138:
P-0138 1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage

SYMPTOM
P-0138 1/2 O2 SENSOR SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

WHEN MONITORED
With the engine running for more than 2 minutes and coolant temperature
above 170 degrees F .

SET CONDITION
The oxygen sensor voltage is above 1.2 volts .

POSSIBLE CAUSES
1/2 O2 sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage
1/2 O2 sensor wiring harness observable def
1/2 O2 sensor wiring harness or connector intermittent def
1/2 O2 sensor connector terminals observable def
1/2 O2 sensor defective

- Bernd