20" R/T rim answers

From: KatzkinLeather@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 18:39:19 EST

I happy to answer any questions, so here you go. If anyone else is intereste=
d=20
or has any questions please ask.

The 20" R/T rim project update page is going up right now, you can view it a=
t:

<A HREF=3D"http://www.premier-automotive.net/20inchRim.html">http://www.prem=
ier-automotive.net/20inchRim.html</A>

The page was just put up today, but will be finished tommorrow and will have=
=20
up to date specs, advancements, even prototype pictures at the end of the=20
month.=20

Also for and ST. LOUIS area Dakota or Durango owners, Im going to have a get=
=20
together. Probally the 1st of 2nd weekend in December. Not only do I want to=
=20
start a St. Louis area dakota group, but it would also give any of you a=20
chance to see the rims, and even mount them on your truck if you wanted.=20
(email me for more information)

Now for the answers:

1.=A0 How much heavier will the 20" RT rims in comparison to the stock 17"=20
rims. Right now we estimate not more then a few pounds heavier then the Stoc=
k=20
17"s. Most of a rim weight is in the "hub" or center cap and it will have th=
e=20
same size center as the 17", you have to expect some extra weight since it=20
will have more metal due to a larger radius, and longer, thicker spokes. You=
=20
also need to take into account what your tires weigh. If you are going to be=
=20
going with the stock size or smaller (28 inches or less) you will save some=20
weight in the reduction of the tire.

2. I have the 2/3 Hotchkis drop in my truck.=A0 Will I still be able to put=20=
in=20
these 20" rims without any problems. These rims ARE designed specifically fo=
r=20
the Dakota and more specifically for the R/T! Here are the specs:

Dodge Dakota [1997-2002], Durango [1997-2002]
20x9 in., 6 lug, 4-1/2" lug pattern.=20
5 straight, dual spokes.
25.4mm offset, 6.06 in.=20
(154mm) backspacing

If it looks familiar thats because it matches exactly to the rims that you=20
currently have (the stock 17" R/T rims). So on the hotchkis 2-3 drop. If you=
=20
run the 17" R/T rim and have no problems, then I can gaurentee that you can=20
run these with no problem as long as you keep the over all tire height the=20
same or lower, and and overall tire width the same or less. If something=20
larger then what you currently have would work with the 2-3 drop then that=20
same overall size and width will work with the 20" as well.

3.=A0 Will the truck look lower with the 20" rims than it already is since i=
t=20
is lowered?

Im not too sure what you mean by this question but ill take a stab at it=20
anyway. If you use a tire that has less of an overall height then what you=20
currently run then you will look lower, because you will be lower (To be=20
specific: you will be one-half of the absolute value of the difference=20
between the two tires lower). If you run a higher over all tire then what yo=
u=20
have now you will then sit higher (same calculation). BUT..either way you=20
will get the larger rim effect! you will essentially be losing some rubber=20
and gaining rim. Which yes, will give you the "custom truck" look that we=20
were aiming for when we chose to make the rim.=20

On a side note: I cant wait to see these on a hotchkis dropped dakota! I don=
t=20
think anything will look better! For any R/T owners in the St. Louis area. I=
=20
will have the prototypes (if all goes as planned) by the end of the month! I=
=20
will have both chrome and painted. Ill be more then happy to meet any=20
St.Louis guys or people who are close enough, to come and have a rim mountin=
g=20
and picture day. So you can see how both the painted and chrome with=20
differnet tires on them will look on your truck.=20

Sincerely,

Jonas Janek
Owner Premier Automotive
www.premier-automotive.net