Help testing plug/wire properties

From: default (nospam@nowhere.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 13:30:32 EST

Hello,
After much swapping of parts around, I'm convinced I have a bad wire or
plug or something. My big question is how and what can I check on the
plugs and wires to make sure they're all the same?

I think I should go through and test the resistance of both the plugs
and wires. Do you know if higher is better, or lower? Is there something
else I should check? I'm not too experienced with the multitester.

How would I look for crossfiring/magnetic effects between wires? I'm
guessing an oscilloscope near the plug, yes?

Do you think indexing the plugs will help making my cylinders more
similar, or is that voodoo?

And my final question, dielectric grease. Does it conduct, or not
conduct? Would I use it on the contacts to prevent oxidation, or around
the seals to prevent moisture/arcing?

Thanks in advance!
michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu

As my small anecdotal contribution, I'm going after the ping on my 99 v8
(again). 3923's helped, but then Magnegore 8.5 wires hurt! One of the
cylinders was arcing to the block, putting the stock cable back stops
it. I think a bad plug would cause this though (too much resistance) and
the stock plug's shield goes lower on the plug preventing it.