Re: Help testing plug/wire properties

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 23:20:40 EST

Set the multimeter to "Ohms" and touch the two leads together and take note
of the reading. As you place each lead into the opposite ends of a plug
wire, you should get the same reading. Move the wires around a little bit
to make sure there's not a short that occurs intermittently due to wire
position.

As for checking the wires, this needs to be done in COMPLETE darkness. This
is easy to do if you have a garage, but don't do it for too long or you may
pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning, and if you're by yourself, then
you're dead! Anyway, pitch dark really helps to pick up crossfire and
arcing. This seems to be prevalent (at least on my 5.2L) around the
distributor/manifold area, and around the spark plug shields (which I
permanently removed about 140,000 miles ago).

Make sure the engine is thoroughly warmed up when checking for spark
leakage. Hot engines are more likely to leak spark than cold engines.
HTH

--
Remove .your.underwear to reply