RE: R/T SHOOTOUT MAGAZINE

From: Kenneth M. Berntsen (kenneth@berntsen.cc)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 23:46:25 EST

Thanks Jon

Well said...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Smith [mailto:jon@fast4x4.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2001 7:07 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: R/T SHOOTOUT MAGAZINE

What makes it slow? Because you attempt to compare it to a (obviously)
modified diesel powered truck? Let's assume for a minute that the
diesel in
question is a stock Ferd Powerslut. WELL over 500ft/lbs of torque,
given a
smaller body style (i.e. not crew cab, etc) it will probably give an R/T
(or
almost any other truck) a run for it's money off the line.

It's a pretty well proven fact that some R/T's are comparative slugs to
other R/T's, they're still faster than any other comparable Dakota made.
This is simply due to the fact of the 360 motor. What does make the 360
slow? Many things do, and they are done (IMHO) mostly to appease the
EPA
and insurance companies.

I agree, Chrysler (Dodge) should have made a Gen 2 R/T. They also
should
have made a RWD sports car, they should also have produced a Gen III R/T
mated to a 5sp or 6sp tranny.

It sounds to me that you're attempting to start on a subject of which
you
give little to no though of. Making comparative analogies between two
or
more VERY dissimilar vehicles is rediculous circle. Yes, a diesel can
be
modded to be faster than an R/T. Yes, I can mod a 318 powered 4x4 with
over
100k miles walk the dog on an R/T, yes there are R/Ts that can walk the
dog
on me. Yes, I've got a turbo 4cyl Laser that'll most likely outrun
anything
you've got, yet it's still a LOT slower than other cars on the road.

Please forgive me, for in my rant I have fogotten your point. What's
your
point?
         Jon Smith
       Raleigh, NC
'95 CC 318 4x4 auto
   344rwhp/424tq

Like i have always said, the only thing the r/t is good at is looking, i
dont know what makes that 360 so slow, I've driven deisels that are just
as fast. I think its cause theyre of the slower gen 3 variety. chrysler
shoulda made a gen2 r/t, maybe it woulda been fast

-Aaron